Need a new recipes for the Holidays?
This is my absolute favorite cookie recipe. They are very sticky but relatively easy to prepare. This is a great recipe for cookie exchanges because they look so impressive.
- 6 cups Kelloggs cornflakes
- 1 package marshmallows large or mini (10oz)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring
- 1 bag mini red M&M’s (The original recipe called for Red Hots or cinnamon candies but I substituted with the M&M’s. I think the chocolate goes better with the cookie than the cinnamon. However you do need to pick through the bag and take out the red ones since they don’t sell bags of M&M red minis- of course that leaves you with leftover colors, but in my house there is no such thing as a leftover M&M)
- Put six cups of cornflakes in a bowl. Set aside. Lay out sheets of wax paper on the counter.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on low heat. You can also melt it in the microwave but I find it easier to use the pot on the stove.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter. Here is where you have to be careful because you don’t want to burn the butter. Keep stirring the marshmallows until it is a smooth liquid consistency.
- Add food coloring and stir.
- Then pour the green marshmallow butter mixture over the cornflakes. Stir with a wooden spoon until all of the cornflakes are covered. It seems impossible at first but it takes time and you have to keep folding over from the bottom. Eventually all the cornflakes will be green and sticky.
- Butter your fingers and quickly take balls of cornflakes out of the bowl and place them on the wax paper. I lay them all out first and then I use my fingers to make a whole in the center and even out the wreaths.
- Dot each wreath with one or two red mini M&Ms. The M&M writing should face down.
Yields: How many wreaths you make really depends on how big you make your wreaths. One batch can make anywhere from 12-24 depending on your preference.
Tip: When I am making several batches I usually put the butter in the saucepan while I forming the wreaths on the wax paper. That way the butter is ready for the marshmallows by the time I am done.