Today is Ash Wednesday and it marks the first day of a 40 day period of sacrifice for Christians. I guess it’s our payback for “Anglo Saxon Winter Privilege Night” (Schmidt, New Girl season 2, episode 9) or as I like to call it Christmas.
Some years I have a really hard time deciding what to give up. It can be tough finding something you enjoy that you can live without. Of course you could give up going to the gym or eating healthy but that is not really the spirit of Lent. So looking for inspiration I googled the ten most common things people give up for Lent.
Top Ten Most Common Things Given Up for Lent
- Smoking– Since I am not a smoker this one is out. However, I do think it is a great idea to give it a try for 40 days. It could be the start of quitting for good.
- Junk Food– For me this category is just too broad. All junk food seems impossible to give up. I would need it pared down a little to something more specific like potato chips. Maybe even a specific brand like I can’t have Ruffles but Utz are okay. There is too much junk I love and wouldn’t want to live without it.
- Alcohol– 40 days seems like a really long time to go without a glass of wine.
- Watching Television– This is definitely a deal breaker for me. How could I live without television. How could I live without Schmidt! I am hooked on so many shows: Revenge, Scandal, New Girl, The Good Wife, Bar Rescue and the list goes on. I couldn’t make it 40 days. I suppose you could dvr them all but realistically I would have to stay home for days to watch 40 days worth of recorded shows!
- Chocolate– Truth be told I would rather have a cheeseburger than something sweet. Chocolate is not such a big deal for me so it really isn’t something I would give up, unless of course I was looking for the easy way out…
- Soda– Giving up soda is my standard Lenten Sacrifice. I really hate that I drink so much soda because I know it’s no good for you. It makes me wonder if I can give it up every year for 40 days why do I go back to it?
- Gossiping– Been there done that with this sacrifice, don’t think I will go there again. It was a long 40 days without my friends.
- Cursing – I have never tried this before but I think I am going to add it to my list of sacrifices this year. I don’t curse much or maybe I do Damn It! Especially with the kids who tend to copy everything you say this might be beneficial for the whole family.
- Texting- No way can’t do it. Anyone who knows me will read this and agree, my phone would probably have to be surgically removed from my hand. Texting is how I communicate with everyone! In fact it is the best mode of communication for my husband and I. We fight much less when we text. For the sake of a marital bliss I just can’t go there.
- Social Media- A new twist on Lenten Sacrifice is to give up social media. I have noticed it is becoming increasingly popular to give up Facebook for Lent. Last night as I scrolled through Facebook I saw many sad “goodbye for now posts” as Facebook Friends posted their final posts preparing to remove themselves from Facebook for the next 40 days. They will have to suffer through 40 days without posting, liking, and sharing. I never really thought about giving up Facebook, or Twitter, or Instagram for that matter. Interesting new idea, maybe next year.
After thinking it over I have decided to give up cursing and soda for lent. So if you see me on the street with a Coke Zero spewing expletives be sure to give me a smack.
What will you give up?
HAHAHAHA!!! Love this post!
C 516-532-3086 F 516-922-1675 email@example.com
Thanks! Last year I kept forgetting and basically gave up nothing. Keep an eye on me no soda or swearing.
I could never give up facebook for 40 days, lol Have no idea what to give up this year. lol
Interesting how GOD defines the kind of fast He would like :
“Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?
I guess sweets and junk food are the most popular things to resign from around here!
Pingback: You Are What You Eat | The Spiritual Advocate
Pingback: The Facebook 40 Fast: Diary of a Digital Junkie | wtpdiaries